Saturday, January 22, 2011

Special Delivery

If you can only imagine that the same person (me, Christie, soon to be mama) wrote the previous post and this soon to be post you'd be quite shocked! Lets travel back to January 10th, 2011 and allow me to explain...

This morning I woke up at 6:00 a.m. and rolled out of bed (literally rolled) with a quiet heave to go to the bathroom while trying to be oh so careful not to wake my hard working husband. I looked at the clock shocked that it was already 6:00! I was expecting 4:00 or 5:00 for some reason. Then my mind starting wandering about how this is about the time I wake up every morning to get ready for school. Then I thought to myself "This is my LAST day of sleeping in!! I need to go back to bed and live it up while I can." as I tucked myself back in to bed, the realization hit me that this was going to be my last day of being pregnant and that sometime today I would be getting a call from the doctors office telling me what time I should come in to be induced tomorrow. I then knew that I would not be going back to sleep no matter how hard I tried. I had too many thoughts running around in my head to try and sleep. Then my stomach started to growl so I once again, rolled out of bed and went downstairs to eat an orange and string cheese. Then I planned to get back into bed and try to live up my last moments of uninterrupted sleep. Just as I got back into bed, I noticed it was 7:15. So much for sleeping in. I laid in bed until 8:00 and then said goodbye to my hubby as he left for work. I told him I'd call as soon as I heard from the doctors office.

Well the day dragged on and I never did get back to sleep. So around nine I got up and went downstairs to get started on my day. At 10:00 Scott's sister Audrey came up to meet her soon to be niece that would be arriving the next day. She took me to breakfast and then we went to run some last minute errands before the babe arrived. Later on we went over to my mamas to do some passing of the time while canning some good ol' applesauce. I was trying to be patient the whole time knowing that sometime soon I would be receiving an anticipated phone call. Well, time went on I started thinking that maybe they had forgotten about me. I've never had a baby so I didn't exactly know how this whole process worked. Then the phone calls and texts started coming from family and friends and everyone was just as anxious as I was and wondering what time I was going in to be induced in the morning. After talking to my sister she told me that I should just call and find out. I didn't want to be the annoying first time mom so I waited till 5:30. I then called the hospital, since I figured my doctor's was most likely closed, and talked to the lady at the scheduling desk. I explained the situation of how my doctor had scheduled to induce me tomorrow but I hadn't heard anything yet. She then asked me for my name and looked me up only to give me the awful news that I wasn't on the schedule! I was VERY disappointed!! How could this happen! Then she asked me if I was sure that I was suppose to be induced tomorrow or maybe if it was Wednesday instead but I knew for a fact that he said Tuesday 1/11/11. I remembered that date because it was my original due date before they moved my due date up because I was measuring big, and it was exactly a week since I saw the doctor. The conversation I had with my doctor a week prior ran through my head. I remembered every detail even the fact that he said he would be on call and that he would be the one to deliver me if I hadn't had her before then. Was I dreaming? Did my pregnant mind dream it up? I knew I was right. I was for sure on the date. She then advised me to call my doctors office after hours line and talk to them since she couldn't do anything about it unless they heard from my doctor.

Well, since I am 41 weeks plus a day prego, a little, no scratch that, WAY emotional I instantly burst into tears the second I hung up the phone. I was beyond upset!! I was outraged! This whole nine months I was preparing for this and was freaked out of my mind each day that grew closer to my due date and when I finally accepted the fact that I was having a baby and that everything would be ok, they tell me "just kidding your not having a baby tomorrow!" My mom came rushing over to me to see what was the matter and I told her the whole story of me being overlooked. Since I couldn't calm down she took matters into her own hands and asked if I I wanted her to call the doctors office for me. Of course!?? There was no way I could compose myself to even talk about the issue. So, she called and explained the situation (while pretending the whole time to be me) and then hung up. She informed me that the doctor on call at the hospital would call me to tell me the new plan.

Ten minutes later, my phone rang and I finally had calmed down enough to hide my tears on the phone. I explained the situation about how I was suppose to be induced tomorrow but no one ever called me so that's when I called to find out what was going on only to find out that I wasn't on the schedule. His response you ask?? Well that little tird thought that I had misunderstood the doctor because Dr. Watabe wasn't even on call tomorrow but he was on Wednesday so he must have meant Wednesday the 12th not Tuesday the 11th. I then told him that I remembered exactly what he told me. I wasn't even on Wednesday schedule either so there must have been a goof somewhere. Well, that's when Mr. on call doctor said the wrong thing and asked the overdue prego girl "Are you sure you aren't just trying to be induced because it's 1/11/11. I know it's a popular date and a lot of girls are trying to have their babies that day." ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! I was beyond annoyed! If he was sitting in front of me I would have reached over and slapped him in the face. He then told me that he would put me on Tuesday's AND Wednesday's schedule and that I should call the doctors office at nine the next morning and figure out what to do from there. Great, that's awesome news? I was depressed and realized that I would most likely not be holding my baby girl the next day.

About 15 minutes later, the scheduling nurse called and asked me about the situation again. I told her the whole story and then she had the audacity as well to ask me "Are you sure you're just not trying to be induced because it's 1/11/11?" Really people??? How dare you! She told me that she could put me on the list to be induced tomorrow but they would most likely not get to me because I would be last on the list, or she could put me down for Wednesday and I would be number 3 on the list and for sure get to have the baby. She also said I could think about it and call her back. Seriously folks??? I don't care if it's Friday the 13th or New Years Day! You told me I was having a baby and now you're turning me away! Are you dumb?? Yes I would at least like to try and get in tomorrow so put me down and if you don't then Wednesday it is!! Geez!!

That night I went to bed with the worst headache ever. I had just accepted the fact that come Wednesday I would finally be a mom, or if I was lucky I would put myself into labor due to all the annoying people I had to deal with. Then I grew jealous that some lady who got to PICK her induction date was going to be walking in to the hospital bright and early probably before she even reached her due date while I was sitting at home 8, soon to be 9 days overdue. I had expected a call the next day from the hospital telling me when to come in but I was not ready when I received a call at 7:30 a.m. The second my phone rang I knew exactly who it would be and what they wanted so I was irritated that they w0uld call so early to tell me that they would most likely get to me around midnight or something. To my surprise.....they told me to come in at 8:30 in the a.m.!!!! Holy crap!!! Did the 70 people on the list before me magically pop out a babe in the middle of the night so I could come in? Luck was definitely on my side but I wasn't about to get my hopes up when I got to the hospital so I told my hubby to be prepared to get turned away once we got there. We quickly got up grabbed everything and rushed out the door to be sure I was on time just in case. Scottie wanted to call everyone and tell them that we were finally on our way to the hospital but I told him we should wait till I actually had a room, a bed, a gown, and some freaking pitocin, because I was not going to get hyped up over nothing.

We finally reached the hospital, parked and walked up to labor and delivery. The second I walked in the door they greeted me and asked to my surprise "Are you Christie?" All I could think of was YES! They really are expecting me!!! They walked me right down to room number 2 and told me to gown up! I was shocked! This really was going to happen today! I really was going to be a mama and hold my baby girl!

Last picture of prego me!

Family of 2 soon to be 3!

After I gowned up the nurse came in asked me the last time I ate. I was sad to tell her that I didn't even think to eat this morning so the last time was last night! I was starving!!! I really wished I had eaten because I knew it was going to be a LONG journey ahead of me and I wouldn't be able to eat anything but Popsicles and jello till baby G arrived. Blah. She hooked up my IV and at 9:05 my doctor came in all out of breath. He explained the whole situation about how he was totally planning on me coming in to be induced but his office didn't get the schedule over in time. He apologized from head to toe, but I on the other hand didn't care one bit at this point because well, I was having a baby today no matter what! And so the adventure began!!!

9:15- Doctor Watabe broke my water and started me on pitocin. Sadly enough I was only 90% efaced and dilated to a 1 1/2 still. No news to me since I was still a 1 1/2 at my last doctors appointment.

10:00- Pitocin was increased and I was having a few contractions with a little pressure but no pain...yet.

2:09 - Making big progress now and dilated a.....2. I was getting really sleepy and wanted to enjoy a cat nap before I was a mama. I realized that I couldn't relax and since I was planning on getting an epidural I decided to call the anesthesiologist in to get rid of the nasty contraction that seemed to last for 45 minutes straight. I knew pitocin would make the contractions stronger but I didn't think it would make them last for 45 minutes straight??? So that's when we called in Mr. Rick....I think that was his name? And he sat me up to start me on the epidural. To my surprise the pain stopped completely and I wondered if I should wait longer to get the epidural and just move positions. That's when I realized that I was just too tall for the stupid bed and there was no way I was going to get comfortable no matter how hard I tried so I said screw it just hook me up I'm takin a nap! Lame I know, couldn't even make it past a 2. But I know myself and I didn't want to have an extreme anxiety attack once the contractions really kicked in.

3:06- Making even bigger progress now haha and I was then dilated to a 3. I know. Huge progress right?

4:00- Finally things started kicking in and I went from a 3-6 in less than an hour. The nurse was shocked she thought it would take a lot longer!

4:15- Massive contractions and I started breathing as if the oxygen in the room was slowly running out. I knew that I would feel pressure, the anesthesiologist told me that, but it felt as if I was about to give birth to an elephant and I wanted to push like no tomorrow!!!! My back was killing me and the nurse decided that she should call the anesthesiologist back in to take a peek.

4:30-Mr. Rick walked in he said "Oh, you shouldn't be breathing like that??" Then he gave me a shot and said it would completely numb my legs for only an hour and then wear off. After about fifteen minutes I felt like a renewed woman and became soooo grateful for the genius out there who invented the epidural. Ahhhh :-) Big thanks to Scottie for letting me squeeze the crap out of his hand.

5:00- Dilated to a 7 and was getting feeling back in my legs again.

5:55- I had arrived at a 9 1/2!!!! It slowly hit me that my little girl was on her way and it wouldn't be long until I got to hold her in my arms. I then got to order some room service so that I could eat right away before the kitchen closed!! I can't tell you how hungry I was I think I could have ordered everything on the menu if they would have let me!

6:30- Nurses switched shifts and Miss Jaclyn came in to announce that she would be my nurse! I absolutely loved her! I was so pleased that she would be helping with the delivery.

6:40- Miss Jaclyn gave me instructions on what to do. I just loved the way she described it "Ok honey, we're going to have you put your chin to your chest, curl around your baby like a C, grab the back of your legs and take a big deep breath, then your gonna push like you have been constipated for the past 2 years, Ok?" haha easy enough! I was ready!! I sure loved her!

7:05-After 25 minutes of pushing...
Little miss Gabby Jean Lamb arrived on her original due date 1/11/11
Weighing 8 lbs 10 oz
A long, lean 20 inches!

It was one of the greatest moments of my life getting to hold her for the first time.

Our family of three

Daddy and his little girl

Auntie Megs and Uncle Tanner

Grammy and Grandpa

Getting scrubbed down by the nurse with the massive tatoo down her arm.... a little inappropriate don't ya think?

Finally all cleaned up and back in my arms

We are absolutely in love with this little girl and couldn't be happier parents! I couldn't have asked for a more smother delivery! So like I said in the beginning. If you can imagine that the same person wrote the previous post you'd laugh. I can finally say that after all my worries and woes and being terribly frightened to go through the whole labor and delivery process, wouldn't you know.....I would do it ALL over again in a heartbeat! Welcome to the family Baby G!


Natalie Kay said...

I am so in love with little Baby G! She is absolutely beautiful. So happy for you and Scottie!

Thanks for letting me visit the other night.

The Peterson's said...

Birth stories are always fun! I was so scared they left me off the list too, when I had Cairo. They said they would call between 7 and 9 and that came and went. But I did get the call at 10. I am glad everything worked out so well!

Hadar said...

She is absolutely adorable. Congratulations :)

Mrs. Ham said...


Tiercy said...

Congratulations! She is precious.

Natalie said...

I love, love reading birth stories and this one was such a great one!!! So happy that things turned out the way you had hoped. She is such a beautiful baby!

bkjones said...

yay I have been waiting for this post! She is beautiful, congrats!!

The Andersens said...

She is so so precious!! I can't wait to meet her girl! Love all the pictures! Call me when u have a free minute! I'm dying to talk to you!

Montgomery Family said...

Congrats, again! She is beautiful. Glad your birthing experience went well. Good for you for getting the epidural asap!! I have no pain tolerance either! Gabby is adorable!

Lea Tame said...

Love the story. Love the pictures. So happy for you!

Lisa Riddle said...

She is sooooo sweet! I knew you could do it.

Meg and Reed said...

I loved reading your whole story. I am still in the phase of "scared out of my mind about the whole labor and delivery" thing. I am also freaking out every minute thinking if my baby will come today or tomorrow or a week after my due date. My guess is I will be like you and be late.
I'm glad everything went smooth for you. Gabby is so adorable. I love the pics. I can't wait for mine!

The Bartons said...

I have been looking at your blog every day for the past week waiting to see pictures of Gabby!! she is beautiful, you guys make them cute:)

MomSwalz said...

It was indeed a special delivery! She is a beautiful baby and is Grammy's Favorite Gabby in the whole world!!!

Lindsey Walker said...

Congrats!!!! She is so cute. See, labor and delivery isn't that bad at all. I got all teary eyed reading your story. It's such a magical, wonderful time! I can't wait to have another one. How is being a mamma? Are you getting any sleep? Hope all is well, she is just beautiful!

Moments said...

Congrats! Love it! I would be ticked at the scheduling as well! I told Jack what they said to you and he said "Are they morons? Do they have a death wish?" Honestly you do don't under any circumstances say that to a prego lady! Anyway it all worked out and she is gorgeous! I want to see her! I want to see yO!U Again, lets get together if we can that would be amazing!

The Staples Fam said...

Congrats Christie! She is just adorable and I am sure you are loving every minute with her! Love the name!

Kendall said...

You should write a book. Your story kept me reading, waiting and anticipating the next event. I am so happy for you guys! I also LOVE the name!! It is perfect. Congratulations!

k+m said...

i'm so SO glad everything turned out perfectly. she is so cute and i can already tell you are the best little mama in the world. so happy for you. she is adorable!

Loftus' said...

Yay!! So happy for your exciting news! I LOVE her name - so stinkin cute!! she is a doll! Good luck with everything!

Lori said...

Oh she is so darling and I'm so happy for all of you! Thanks for the great story once again!

Andrea said...

Congratulations!! She is absolutely precious! I am glad that everything went well after such a frustrating start :-)